UKPoMS runs two main surveys:
Flower-Insect Timed Count (FIT Count)
- Can be done at any location with flowers
- At any time when weather is good enough, from 1 April to 30 September
- Choose a patch of target flowers and count all insects landing on them within ten minutes
- Send in your count results to help build a national picture of pollinator abundance
Systematic 1 km square survey
- Involves setting out pan-traps in the morning, collecting the insects at the end of the day, and returning the samples to the PoMS labs
- Takes place in 75 pre-defined 1 km squares throughout the UK, from farm fields to mountain sides
- Volunteers adopt a square and visit it four times during the summer
- Equipment, training and access permissions are all provided by PoMS
- Send in your samples and data to help build a rigorous dataset of changes in pollinator distribution and abundance
Download a PoMS flyer to print out (A4 sheet with two A5 flyers - print and cut to size).
You may also be interested in some of the other surveys and species recording projects run by PoMS partners and other national recording schemes.